Helping your business grow
UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) was replaced by Department for International Trade (DIT) in July 2016.
BHETA works closely with the DIT and in 2013, became a Trade Challenge Partner to represent and support its members from the Housewares, DIY and garden sectors to help increase exports and UK business opportunities overseas.
The DIT works with over 100 Trade Challenge Partners and has a collective membership of around 70,000. Visit the Department for International Trade website.
On average it is estimated that 40% of their members are already doing business internationally and a further 20% have a potential to do so. Export not only helps individual companies to grow, it also plays an increasingly important role in the national challenge to improve the UK’s trade balance.
As your trade association we are committed to:
- Being proactive advocates of the benefits of exporting to those members with potential for, but not yet doing business overseas. Are you export ready? Visit www.exportingisgreat.gov.uk
- Promoting DIT and UK Export Finance services to members
- Proactively supporting the Business Opportunities service. Click here to register for tailored alerts
- Sharing member success stories to build confidence and provide inspiration for other companies
- Working with the DIT to support members attending overseas exhibitions and trade events. Click here to find out how the Tradeshow Access Programme can help promote your business overseas.
- Actively promoting the Department of International Trade webinars
How they can help
The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps businesses export and grow into global markets. We also help overseas companies locate and grow in the UK.
Our services are provided to over 100 markets throughout the world. They are delivered by:
– over 1,200 staff outside the UK
– around 500 staff in our London and Glasgow headquarters
– around 400 staff based in the English regions
Export services for UK businesses
Every month we publish hundreds of new export opportunities from around the world.
We provide access to a regional network of international trade specialists across the UK which:
- help businesses acquire the skills, contacts and confidence to start exporting or to break into new markets
- work closely with our global network of UKTI advisers, to ensure UK businesses are given the best advice about exporting to their chosen destinations
We also offer programmes for:
- high value opportunities, to help businesses win large projects overseas
- e-exporting, to help retailers and brands to sell their products online
- tradeshow access, providing grants to eligible businesses so they can attend overseas events
- overseas market introductions, offering tailored research from our network of overseas experts
- bidding for international aid agency projects
BHETA works closely with DIT to run seminars and forums to provide new and inexperienced exporters with the training, planning advice they need to succeed overseas.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) provides a variety of support for Medium-Sized Businesses (companies with a turnover of between £25 million and £250 million). MSBs are major employers and make an important contribution to the growth of the economy. DIT provide a special package of support specifically for these businesses. Click to find out more.
Business Opportunities – Exporting is GREAT
DIT staff in British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates are always looking for opportunities for UK businesses to export their goods and services. Did you know?
- Over 450 business opportunities are published across all sectors each month
- They range from private sector opportunities, multilateral aid agency tenders to public sectors leads
- You can sign up for alerts on the website and set up email preferences for opportunities
- Registered companies can be put in contact with the overseas companies who’ve posted opportunities
- DIT staff overseas are on hand to supply further support and services
- Overseas Trade Shows & Events
To find out what current exporting opportunities exist, visit www.exportingisgreat.gov.uk
Exporting is GREAT aims to inspire and support UK exporters to sell goods and services overseas. As well as applying for real-time global export opportunities, UK businesses can access expert advice, trade services, training and events on the website.
Tradeshow Access Programme
Many overseas trade shows are supported through the Tradeshow Access Programme, and most outward missions will attract grants for eligible SMEs. BHETA events and trade missions provide a cost-effective opportunity to visit and research new overseas markets in a group environment. Click here to find out how the Tradeshow Access Programme can help promote your business overseas.
Jointly with the DIT we offer help and advice for members planning to exhibit overseas for the first time, helping you to get maximum benefit from your time and money, and guiding you through the maze of international regulations, legislation, and procedures. We also help you to complete your funding application, and advise you about other funding options open to you.
UK Export Finance
British businesses received £4.3 billion worth of support from the government through UK Export Finance (UKEF) in 2012-13, up from £2.3 billion in the previous year.
UKEF is the UK’s export credit agency. It insures UK exporters against non-payment by their overseas buyers, helps overseas buyers to purchase goods and/or services from UK exporters by guaranteeing bank loans to finance those purchases, share credit risks with banks and insures UK investors in overseas markets against political risks.
Many of UK Export Finance’s products and services are specifically aimed to help SMEs.
Exporters can now speak to an Export Finance Adviser based in the DIT regional offices to help them navigate the support available. Find out more by visiting the UKEF Website. Find out how others have benefitted to get an insight on how UKEF can actively help you. UKEF Case Studies.
Open to Export
Open to Export is a free online service designed to provide a single source of advice, information and intelligence for UK exporters seeking help. It enables them to get feedback directly and quickly from government organisations and the business community, including existing exporters, and relevant service providers such as lawyers, accountants and, of course, trade associations.
More and more businesses are turning to the website to get answers to their exporting issues. For more information visit http://opentoexport.com/
Passport to Export
The Passport to Export service is an export assessment and support programme for small and medium-sized enterprises (SME). It provides new or inexperienced exporters with training, planning and support to grow their business overseas. Find out more by visiting the Passport to Export website and read interesting case studies.
Helping UK Businesses Grow – This is where you can find all of the events that DIT are hosting. Register for an event, network and receive unique opportunities as well as expert advice plus much more. Click to the Events page.
The e-Exporting Programme can help UK companies and brands sell products overseas through online channels. UK online retail exports are set to reach £60bn by 2018 (Source: IORMA, 2014).
By joining the e-Exporting Programme, UK companies and brands can reach consumers overseas through e-marketplaces. Click here to find out more.
DIT Useful links
DIT Website – Department for International Trade
The DIT Twitter feed has over 98,000 followers – go to https://twitter.com/tradegovuk
Open to Export – http://opentoexport.com/
Export Hub – Part of the Exporting is GREAT campaign, truck tour of UK Export Hub Roadshow
Find a local DIT office – Office finder
Regular webinars are hosted by Open to Export, featuring presentations, followed by an interactive Q&A session. To find out about upcoming webinars click here.
GreatBritishStore.com is a unique global platform, showcasing British products and services, supported by UKTI in over 106 global markets. Global buyers can now search for British products and services knowing that they will find Great British innovation, design and quality in one place. Register today to be part of this unique opportunity. www.greatbritishstore.com/register.
First class export advice -Trade Services Overview – Click on the link to find out more. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-international-trade/about/about-our-services
Member case studies
- What More UK Ltd – To view UKTI Case study, click on the link Whatmore case study for UKTI BHETA 12-12-2014
Investment services for non-UK businesses
Read more about the help the DIT can give to businesses considering setting-up in the UK.
Our global team of DIT staff based in British Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates help overseas companies to locate or invest in the UK.
This international network:
– identifies market opportunities in the UK and Europe
– provides advice on setting up in the UK (covering tax, employment, marketing, visas)
– identifies ideal events and networking opportunities with British suppliers
We also provide specialist help for entrepreneurs, and ongoing support to help companies grow their business after setting up in the UK.
For further information contact:
Members can contact the BHETA team for more information or advice:
BHETA Member Services
Tel: 0121 237 1130 or email email@example.com